Foundation Support for Lobbying and Other Advocacy: The Island Foundation's Webinar Series
November 14th, 2017
Grantmaker, Philanthropic Advisor
Not sure how to make the case for funding advocacy? Uncertain whether you can fund grantees that lobby? Wondering whether your public or private foundation can speak out on a particular issue? This training answers these questions and more! This session for both public and private foundations covers:
- Reasons for public and private foundation support for advocacy
- Overview of activities that constitute advocacy and public policy work
- Various advocacy roles for foundations
- Definitions of lobbying
- Activities that are exceptions to the definitions of lobbying, including those which are permissible by private foundations
- Rules for private and public foundation grants to nonprofits that lobby, including general support, specific project, and multi-year grants
- Grant agreement language that permits support for policy work
The webinar will be led by legal staff from Bolder Advocacy, a project of the Alliance for Justice that advances and protects the role of nonprofits and foundations in influencing public policy, and is jointly sponsored by Exponent Philanthropy & Philanthropy MA.
Register here: https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/8323935627745262083
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.
Philanthropy MA Policy
Refunds: When an event or program requires payment, payment is required in advance unless alternative arrangements have been made with an Philanthropy MA staff member. If payment has not been received and/or arrangements have not been made three or more business days before the event date, Philanthropy MA reserves the right to cancel your unpaid reservation. Philanthropy MA does not provide refunds, but a credit good for one year may be issued for future events if notice of nonattendance is received three or more business days prior to the event. If you need to cancel your event registration, please email AGM staff at email@example.com.
Media: Photographs and/or video may be taken at this event to support Philanthropy Massachusetts's efforts to educate and inform the community on the role of philanthropy, in marketing materials, on our website and through social media. If you prefer your image not to be used please notify us at the event. Thank you.