About the Organization
More Than Words (MTW) is a social enterprise that empowers youth who are in the foster care system, court involved, homeless, or out of school to take charge of their lives by taking charge of a business. By working as a team to manage their own retail and online used book business and community space, youth develop the employment skills, leadership, and self-confidence they need to successfully transition to adulthood.
MTW is an exemplary organization that has continually held up a mirror to identify areas for improvement and accountability; that ethic is part of the culture and fabric of MTW, and it extends to our commitment to ensuring our staff and board reflect the racial and ethnic diversity and lived experiences of the young adults we are privileged to serve. People of color are highly encouraged to apply.
If you love working with people, organizing creative events for a retail location, building partnerships with local film festivals, authors and community organizations – while training a team of youth employees to deliver world class events -- then get your creative juices flowing, because this is the job for you! MTW is currently under construction to build a brand new 4k square foot space in the thriving New York Streets neighborhood in Boston’s South End. Surrounded by Ink Block, the Troy and multiple retail and restaurant locations, the store will include a bookstore, social enterprise marketplace and space for extraordinary events as well as rental opportunities. We are ready to hire the next leader to help MTW staff and youth develop our new social enterprise event space!
As Associate Director of Events, you will help develop the strategy and manage the day to day operations – creating events to build the MTW brand and community gathering space, driving sales, managing events calendar, executing venue rental program and marketing strategy to build attendance goals and leading a team of youth employees and adult staff. You will successfully deliver on financial reporting, exemplary customer service, and building and maintaining relationships - fostering an environment that creates a unique community space that brings people together.
Event and Venue Management:
- Build Community and Event Partnerships – Develop the MTW event brand in building strong community presence with independent film festivals, Boston arts and culture organizations and performing arts schools, individual musicians and authors and others, as you build an annual strategy for MTW hosted events
- Build and Maintain a Contact Database – Develop a database of key community contacts for event creation including publishers, publicists, arts and culture organizations, music venues and film festivals
- Manage and Maintain Event Calendar – Create and maintain an up to date event calendar on all messaging platforms, as well as communicate event details to internal MTW team
- Maximize Event Sales – Build systems to grow event attendance by driving to targets through strong customer service, cost management, tracking key performance indicators and applying analysis to event marketing strategies
- Marketing and Promotions – Organize, promote, and drive attendance through a strong marketing strategy with creative visual communications for both in-store and off-site, as well as through social media and online event marketing sites (Bloggers, local magazines, etc.)
- Venue Rental – Develop venue rental program, generating leads, executing events while delivering exemplary customer service from initial point of contact, through execution, to appreciation efforts after the conclusion of the event
- Financial Reporting – Conduct analysis of financial and sales data, event attendance and venue rental to inform forecasting and strategy
Youth Empowerment and Training:
- Ongoing Training – Develop and oversee implementation of training materials for youth to learn effective event planning and management. Work alongside youth to provide ongoing training, feedback and support for youth to improve performance in event operations
- Teamwork and Communication - Build a culture of team work, communication, continuous learning and meaningful feedback
- Accountability - Hold youth employees accountable for all safety, policies and performance including attendance, punctuality, professionalism and efficiency with tasks on shift
- Foster Creativity – Empower youth to take positive risks implementing their own creative ideas within event planning and execution
Leadership and Team Management:
- Motivate, Inspire and Develop – Set clear goals, encourage teamwork and outline expectations by coaching team on event planning, event hosting, comprehensive marketing and business analysis
- Operational Targets – Set clear targets for operational standards and event space management, ensuring safety and risk management
- Collaborate – Collaborate with other MTW departments to drive business and create a culture of shared accountability, profitability and youth training – especially to promote creative alignment in retail space
- Supervision and Training – Deliver clear performance expectations, routine supervision and performance evaluations with fair and timely feedback for growth and development
- Ability to handle a flexible work schedule to support staff and youth, as needed, with events including some mornings, evenings, weekends and holidays
- Must have superior planning, time management, communication, and organizational skills
- Hands-on experience successfully developing successful events and managing logistics and execution
- Experience supervising and training staff
- Strong collaboration, customer service and communication skills
- Ability to communicate with people with a wide range of cultural backgrounds, training and experience – written and verbal
- Strong capacity to both lead and participate in cross-functional teams to define issues and agree on processes, strategies and outcomes. Collaborative work style and the ability to either take direction or work independently as the situation requires
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, and familiarity with Point of Sale or CRM platforms and other business software as needed for requirements of position
- Physical activity required – supporting youth to set up and take down events, which requires prolonged standing, repetitive bending, lifting, and climbing
- Medical and Dental Insurance, 401K
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Significant growth opportunities and professional development
- Employee Discounts
- Salary range commensurate with experience
More Than Words is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, citizenship status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to ADEvents@MTWyouth.org and reference ADE—005 in the subject line.