The St. Boniface Haiti Foundation in Newton, MA is seeking a proven and mission-driven Chief Accounting Officer to oversee all financial strategy and operations at the organization.
The St. Boniface Haiti Foundation (SBHF) is dedicated to providing essential health services to the people of southern Haiti, especially the most vulnerable. We aim to be a model for what is possible in providing high-quality, accessible healthcare in resource- poor places around the world. We are committed to building a comprehensive, efficient, and resilient health system that is Haitian-lead and Haitian-operated, providing opportunities for Haitian healthcare professionals to use and develop their skills and talents to the betterment of entire communities.
SBHF employs 300 staff in southern Haiti and sees over 100,000 patients per year. SBHF is growing rapidly, and has doubled its revenues and patient population in the past few years. Building on over thirty years of award-winning service in Haiti, we are now looking for a financial leader to drive the foundation’s $10 million budget into a new period of growth and opportunities.
As a key member of the executive team, based in Newton MA, the Chief Accounting Officer will report to SBHF’s CEO and contribute to the organization’s overall mission and vision.
- Responsible for overseeing the full range of activities in the accounting and finance department, including accounting, budgeting, forecasting, reporting, tax, audit coordination, accounts payable / receivables, purchasing, payroll, cash management, insurance, and investment portfolio.
- Evaluate the current accounting and finance department processes and procedures. Identify gaps and implement improvements in processes, internal controls and efficiencies.
- Present financial information to Board in a clear and concise manner.
- Oversee donor reporting and government grant accounting.
- Oversee organization’s payroll and tax planning and filings.
- Implement independent audit and ensure it is completed on time and efficiently.
- Oversee compliance examinations, including A-133.
- Ensure consolidated financial reporting and practices are in accordance with GAAP.
- Prepare budgets and financial forecasts, including monitoring and analyzing monthly operating results against budget.
- Create key business metrics and key performance indicators to help guide management and identify financial, operational and business opportunities for improvement.
- Review, structure and oversee contract process with vendors and clients.
- Build and scale a high performing finance and accounting team.
- Responsible for directly managing and developing the finance team, and for overseeing Human Resources and IT functions within the organization.
- Develop a reputation within the organization as a leader with a “can do” attitude who others want to partner with because of his/her demonstrated resourcefulness and problem solving skills.
- CPA and Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting.
- Previous experience in the health care field. Nonprofit entity (including fund accounting) experience preferred.
- Passion for the mission of SBHF and for using your financial skills to help improve the lives of people around the world.
- 10+ years of relevant experience as a controller or head of finance.
- Proven knowledge of accounting practices and financial controls.
- Prior experience building and supporting the financial processes of an operation with international locations.
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office, QuickBooks, and current nonprofit accounting systems.
- Excellent understanding and application of US GAAP.
- Basic French or Creole, or the ability to pick up new languages strongly preferred.
- Willingness and ability to travel internationally to Haiti on a semi-regular basis.
- Strategic business partner who is hands-on.
- History of being able to work collaboratively.
- Self-starter, high energy, team player effective at multi-tasking and time management. Effective at leveraging own time and that of others.
- Process-oriented with strength in redesigning or improving upon existing processes.
- Previous experience at a Big Four accounting firm, a plus.
Please submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line “Chief Accounting Officer.” Please note that applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Due to the high volume of applicants we will only contact those who are being considered for an interview. Thank you for your interest in working at SBHF.