Development and Communications Associate—Full-time
About Discovering Justice
Discovering Justice is a nonprofit leader in civic education whose mission is to prepare young people to value the justice system, realize the power of their own voices, and embrace civic responsibility by connecting classrooms and courtrooms. From our waterfront home in Boston’s Moakley U.S. Courthouse, we offer innovative in-school curriculum, after school mock trial programs, and courthouse field trips that teach more than 20,000 elementary and middle school students annually about the justice system, the role of law in a democratic society, and the fundamental importance of good citizenship.
About the Position
Discovering Justice is seeking an upbeat, tech-savvy, and conscientious Development and Communications Associate to provide administrative support to the development team, and to coordinate the organization's external communications and design efforts. Reporting to the Development Director, the Development and Communications Associate will provide a high level of project coordination support, and work closely with members of the development team to support donor engagement. Discovering Justice is in the midst of a strategic planning process, and is looking for team members who are interested in helping to scale the work of the organization.
The Development Associate’s primary role is to provide development and communications coordination and support. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Lead the logistics and planning of fundraising events, including the Annual Gala.
- Process online and offline donations into donor database (Raiser’s Edge) through data imports and manual entry.
- Lead donor acknowledgement process: Issue timely, personalized thank you letters and tax receipts; draft tailored gift acknowledgement letters; review and refresh email copy.
- Responsible for regular bank deposits.
- Assist in stewardship of donors through moves management strategic planning, and conduct prospect research.
- Maintain individual, foundation, and corporate donor records and produce reports as needed, including quarterly performance reports.
- Support coordination of large-scale mailings, including Annual Appeal campaign.
- Coordinate annual online fundraising campaign (currently in March).
- Write and/or edit email content for quarterly newsletters, event announcements, and press releases and manage distribution.
- Build Discovering Justice’s online presence via regular social media posts and website updates, monitor web traffic and ensure optimization of search results.
- Maintain NetCommunity database, schedule appropriately timed emails, ensure appropriate segmentation, and clean lists.
- Manage and coordinate production of visually pleasing branded documents including the annual report, program materials, presentation decks & other communications / promotional assets (student success stories, photos, video coverage, and testimonials.)
- Maintain and update the website regularly.
- Provide support to office management staff as needed. Tasks may include: monitoring inventory, organizing office spaces, reception, assistance with incoming/outgoing mail.
Skills and Qualifications
- Minimum of an Associate’s degree or equivalent experience acquired on the job.
- Highly organized, flexible, and conscientious self-starter.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Eagerness to learn and take on special projects.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Comfortable working independently and as part of a team.
- Knowledge of design software (Photoshop, InDesign, WordPress, etc.) and other communications and database management tools.
- Discretion and good judgment in maintaining highly sensitive and confidential information.
- Ability to maintain cordial, professional, and service-oriented relationships with donors, board members, vendors, staff, and volunteers.
- Demonstrated excitement and passion for Discovering Justice’s mission.
Anticipated Start Date: July, 2018
Compensation: Annual salary commensurate with experience;
Our competitive benefits package includes:
- Health, dental, and life insurance
- 403(b) retirement plan, including an additional 5% of your salary
- Pre-tax transportation plan
- Paid vacation days, personal days, sick leave, and holidays including annual office closure between Christmas Eve and New Years Day
How to Apply
Please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com by July 1, 2018. Discovering Justice is committed to equal opportunity employment practices. Candidates of color, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQ+ candidates are encouraged to apply.