Who You Are: Development Director
You are a talented nonprofit fundraising professional or a skilled organizer ready to apply that experience to organizing donors. Driven and committed to social justice, you have ambitious and creative ideas about how to resource the research analysis to support movements across a range of social justice sectors. You recognize that we have to respond to this moment of crisis, and plan ahead for what may come, even in the face of great uncertainty. The idea of helping build such a movement is what gets you out of bed in the morning. You are a thoughtful strategist and an amazing writer, excited about expanding existing resource streams, and building new ones. You balance an organized, meticulous approach to planning and managing systems with a passion for building relationships with donors and foundations.
PRA is currently seeking a Development Director to build on a successful fundraising program, with particular emphasis on expanding our major donor program to allow us to meet rising demand for our work and focus on long term sustainability.
The Development Director’s key responsibilities include:
- Expand and refine PRA’s development vision and plan in ways both ambitious and realistic, including: clear short-term and long-term strategies, benchmarks for progress, and tools needed to implement priorities.
- Develop and implement both an annual development plan and long range fundraising goals and plan with diverse strategies and ambitious but realistic goals in consultation with ED and the Board.
- Lead research and prospecting to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward both institutional and individual funders.
- Build a robust major donor program.
- In partnership with program and other development staff, manage grant writing, reporting, and foundation relationship management.
- Engage members of the Board of Directors and Staff in fundraising strategies and efforts.
- Organize fundraising events including parties, receptions, dinners, and virtual events.
- Explore and develop new potential funding sources.
- Generate compelling development-related copy, including grants, reports, letters, emails, Annual Report, and other materials, including quarterly mail appeals and the biannual PRA newsletter.
- In partnership with the Communications Director, oversee and implement online giving calendar and appeals.
- Manage effective systems for tracking donors, prospects, and other organizational contacts and ensure timely processing, recording, and acknowledgment of donations.
- Manage support staff including, currently, the Operations Coordinator and a to-be-hired Development Associate.
- Participate in organizational leadership as a member of the Directors team and on other committees and working groups, as needed.
- Collaborate closely with the Executive Director and Communications Director on external messaging, materials, and events.
- Collaborate closely with the Research Director on program development and grant reporting.
- Collaborate closely with the Finance Manager and Executive Director to support cash flow and financial management of the organization and annual budgeting and audit process.
- Ensure all Staff and Board understand fundraising and budget needs of the organization as related to programmatic goals and priorities.
- Represent PRA in a professional manner, consistent with our mission and strategic plan, both within the organization and in public.
Qualifications: Commitment to the vision and mission of PRA; demonstrated success in fundraising from foundations and individual donors; familiarity with social justice movements and social justice funders; excellent writing and editing skills; demonstrated efficacy managing projects and deadlines and staff; passion for social justice; critical and creative thinking; strong verbal communication skills; ability to work both independently and as part of a team; ability to support and contribute to all areas of the organization’s development program; and willingness to learn new skills.
Salary is competitive, on a social justice nonprofit scale, commensurate with skills and experience. This position requires some travel and occasional evening or weekend commitments. Generous compensation package includes full medical & dental, retirement, fabulous colleagues, and a collaborative working environment. This is a full-time salaried position based in Somerville, Massachusetts. PRA is a racial justice and equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. People of color, LGBTQ persons, and women are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply please send a cover letter, resume, a writing sample, and references to email@example.com. Position open until filled.