About Us and Our Philosophy:
Founded on the principle that every person deserves a safe and healthy place to live, HomeStart has been ending and preventing homelessness in Boston for over 20 years. Our organization is committed to walking clients through the challenging process of moving from shelters to permanent housing. We do this by helping to secure housing and by helping clients re‐integrate into their communities, providing support services such as financial literacy and life skills training. HomeStart has permanently ended homelessness for more than 9,000 individuals living on the streets of Boston, and we are also one of the first and one of the largest agencies in Boston that end homelessness by preventing it in the first place. To date, we have prevented over 3,000 families and individuals on the verge of eviction from becoming homeless. With a strongly‐held belief that having a home restores a person’s dignity and offers the stability necessary for making other life changes, HomeStart is a powerful advocate for both ending and preventing homelessness in the City of Boston.
We have developed a program that could effectively eliminate family homelessness by non‐payment eviction for thousands of Massachusetts families every year, and HomeStart is poised to accelerate the expansion of this intervention across Greater Boston and Massachusetts. Boston would be the first community in the nation to extinguish the eviction crisis, and as we scale the impact of the Homelessness Prevention Program across Massachusetts, we would create a template for national replication. To learn more, please visit www.homestart.org.
At HomeStart, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, support it, and thrive on it for the benefit of our team and the communities we serve. HomeStart is an equal opportunity employer and as such, we do not discriminate against any team member or candidate because of race, creed, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, or any other basis protected by law. We encourage all to apply because we believe a diversity of voices leads to better discussions, decisions, and outcomes for everyone.
Our team at HomeStart is seeking a strategic, innovative Director of Development to build and implement a comprehensive fundraising program that will expand our philanthropic funding base, positioning us to grow our impact dramatically over the next 3 years. The Director of Development will oversee all aspects of our fundraising strategy, with an emphasis on identifying, cultivating, and securing new major donors, and will lead aligned communications and marketing activities to ensure that we raise HomeStart’s visibility.
The Director of Development reports to the Executive Director, acts as part of our management team, and will work closely with the Board of Directors to support their involvement in fundraising. The Director will supervise HomeStart’s development staff, which currently includes two team members, and will be responsible for hiring additional members onto this team as needed.
- Create and implement a comprehensive development strategy for HomeStart, partnering with the management team, Board of Directors, and development staff as needed to ensure appropriate goals, benchmarks, action plans, and follow-through
- Lead the Development team, with responsibility for hiring, training, and/or mentoring individual staff members to support individual performance and fostering a strong sense of teamwork
- Foster engagement in fundraising efforts among HomeStart’s Board of Directors
- Manage the identification of donor prospects, creating and tracking solicitation strategies within HomeStart’s Raiser’s Edge database
- Develop and maintain key long-term relationships with donors and prospects, with an emphasis on growing our individual donor base and cultivating major gifts
- Oversee written communication, including grantwriting and individual donor appeals, partnering with the Executive Director and grantwriter to cultivate relationships with current and potential corporate and foundation sponsors
- Manage the execution of HomeStart’s fundraising events
- Implement a comprehensive marketing strategy and manage HomeStart’s marketing materials and social media strategy
Your Skill Set:
As the incoming Director of Development, you will possess many, though perhaps not all, of the following characteristics and qualifications:
- You have significant experience in nonprofit fund development, with demonstrated success in raising funds from a variety of revenue streams, including individual and major donors, and growing an organization’s funding base. You are excited by entrepreneurial challenges and the chance to set the vision that will take our development department to the next level. Prior experience or familiarity with philanthropic communities in Greater Boston is considered a plus.
- You are an organized and team-oriented project-manager, with demonstrated success in guiding groups through the effective planning and implementation of development strategies.
- You enjoy building relationships internally and externally, leveraging emotional intelligence and comfort interacting with a wide range of people to create strong connections with donors, colleagues, and program participants, and you are able to effectively navigate relationships to achieve win-win solutions. Experience in developing and managing Board fundraising capacity is considered a plus.
- You are a skilled communicator, with the ability to share an effective message through compelling oral communications and written materials, and you are a strong listener. Experience with social media strategies is considered a plus.
- You come to this role with respect for and a desire to serve families and individuals experiencing homelessness and/or in precarious life situations, demonstrating compassion and an authentic belief in HomeStart’s mission and model.
- You are comfortable working in a small team environment and taking on both strategic and tactical responsibilities, and you demonstrate flexibility, humility, and a sense of humor.
How to Apply
How to Join Our Team:
Using the link below, please upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity, both in Word format, addressed to Matt Pritchard. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
About Commongood Careers:
HomeStart has partnered with Commongood Careers to conduct the search for a Director of Development. Commongood Careers is a mission-driven search firm that supports the hiring needs of high-impact nonprofits. With an approach that leverages robust talent networks, recruitment and search management expertise, and a deep understanding of our clients’ missions and cultures, we help organizations secure the talent they need to create greater social impact. Since our founding in 2005, Commongood Careers has led more than 800 searches at 300 organizations in 33 states, making us one of the most experienced and dedicated nonprofit search firms in the country.
Would you like to apply to this job?