About Us and Our Philosophy:
Enroot empowers immigrant youth to achieve academic, career, and personal success through inspiring out-of-school experiences. Working with our team of mentors, tutors, instructors, and case managers, our students envision and fulfill their own American Dream. Enroot alumni graduate from high school with substantially increased self-confidence, advocacy, and leadership skills, and go on to complete college at more than double the rate of their peers.
Enroot, previously known as Cambridge Community Services, is proud to have helped English Language Learners succeed for 25 years through our proven program model. Under our current strategic plan we are poised for rapid expansion in order to achieve our vision of success for all immigrant youth. We moved beyond our Cambridge roots to launch our second site in Somerville in 2016 and we will grow to serve a third site in 2019. With continued success and proof points, we are driven by the opportunity to bring our program to students and communities on a broader national scale.
At Enroot, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, support it, and thrive on it for the benefit of our team and the communities we serve. Enroot is an equal opportunity employer and as such, we do not discriminate against any team member or candidate because of race, creed, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, or any other basis protected by law. We encourage all to apply because we believe a diversity of voices leads to better discussions, decisions, and outcomes for everyone.
We are looking for a passionate and growth-oriented Director of Development and Strategic Initiatives to join the Enroot team and guide our fundraising to the next level. The Director of Development and Strategic Initiatives will work closely with the Executive Director to shape and implement an effective fundraising strategy, with a particular focus on growing our individual donor and corporate sponsor relationships, as well as sustaining our success to date in securing foundation and local government support, as we grow our budget from $820K in 2018 to $1.1M or more in 2020. The Director of Development and Strategic Initiatives will build strong relationships with our Board members, staff, and current and prospective donors, drawing on excellent interpersonal skills and a deep commitment to our mission.
- Establish and implement an effective and comprehensive development plan that will grow Enroot’s financial resources and visibility, partnering with the Executive Director, Development Committee, and Board as needed to define key goals, benchmarks, and opportunities
- Lead prospect research activities, identifying opportunities for Enroot to build its presence and donor relationships with relevant stakeholders throughout the Greater Boston area
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, cultivate relationships with new and current donors and prospects; equip Enroot staff and Board members with the tools they need to participate in ongoing donor identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship
- Lead and/or participate in producing written materials (e.g. individual donor communications, foundation grant proposals and reports)
- Direct Enroot’s communications activities, including website, social media, and newsletters
- Oversee Enroot’s fundraising events strategy
- Manage one staff member who will support both development and general operations work, providing appropriate performance management and professional development
- As needed, refine Enroot’s development systems and infrastructure
- Serve as a thought-partner and strategist with Enroot leadership and play a key role in shaping our growth trajectory
Your Skill Set:
As the incoming Director of Development and Strategic Initiatives, you will possess many, though perhaps not all, of the following characteristics and qualifications:
- You have at least 5 years of professional experience, including prior success in nonprofit fund development roles.
- You come to this role with an understanding of fundraising best practices, including prospect research and donor cultivation and stewardship, and you are eager to apply that knowledge within a small-but-growing organization.
- You are a creative and strategic thinker, with demonstrated success in translating ideas into action and identifying innovative ways to achieve goals.
- You are excited to be part of a committed, diverse team and are comfortable taking on a range of roles from the strategic to the hands-on in a start-up-like environment.
- You have successfully built relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders, including donors and external supporters, and bring excellent relationship-management and oral and written communication skills.
- You come to this role with a strong belief in Enroot’s program and personal or professional connections to supporting immigrant communities and/or education.
- You hold a bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
How to Join Our Team:
Using this link, please upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity, both in Word format, addressed to Ben Clark. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
About Commongood Careers:
Enroot has partnered with Commongood Careers to conduct the search for a Director of Development and Strategic Initiatives. Commongood Careers is a mission-driven search firm that supports the hiring needs of high-impact nonprofits. With an approach that leverages robust talent networks, recruitment and search management expertise, and a deep understanding of our clients’ missions and cultures, we help organizations secure the talent they need to create greater social impact. Since our founding in 2005, Commongood Careers has led more than 800 searches at 300 organizations in 33 states, making us one of the most experienced and dedicated nonprofit search firms in the country.