We have all seen the “sustainability question” asking one way or another:
- How will the program be sustained after the grant ends?
- What is your plan for sustaining the project beyond the grant period?
- Describe the future of this program and how will you support it beyond the grant.
If you answered “We’ll get more grants”, you failed the test. This practical session is designed to spark new ideas on how to answer the question for your organization or program. It will offer grant maker insights, new ways to look at the question, and strategies for answering it.
- interviews with funders on what they look for in the answer;
- examples of different ways to look at the question;
- factors that help prove sustainability that may not seem obvious or even related; and
- concrete examples to illustrate principles
Participants are invited to bring their best examples of answering this question to share.
Ellen Gugel GPC, Principal of Grants & More, has developed hundreds of successful proposals for environmental, social services, advocacy and arts organizations from grassroots to $60+ million agencies. As Director of Foundation & Corporate Relations at Ascentria Care Alliance (formerly Lutheran Social Services) 2010-14, she established a successful grants program. Prior: consultant (2007-10); Development Manager, Tower Hill Botanic Garden (2004-07); Executive Director, Orenda Wildlife Land Trust (1998-2003) of Cape Cod. She earned her MBA at Boston University in Public & Nonprofit Management. She is a member of the Grant Professionals Association (GPA) and currently serves as the GPA Regional Representative. She is a Grant Professional Certified (GPC) since 2010.