The Phoenix - Sober Active Community is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization whose mission is to foster a supportive, physically active community for individuals who are recovering from a substance use disorder and for those who choose to live sober. By participating in our physical, social and education programs, participants build confidence, self-respect, and community. Activities offered include CrossFit, climbing, hiking, boxing, running, yoga, road & mountain biking, and strength training. Through traditional fundraising strategies and revenue ventures, Phoenix is able to provide free programs for anyone with 48 hours of sobriety. The Phoenix currently operates in 33 locations across 24 states. The Phoenix recently opened a climbing gym in Boston and is seeking experienced climbing instructors.
The primary responsibilities of this position are to facilitate introductory climbing and belay clinics, and to ensure that members are following basic safety at an indoor rock-climbing gym operated by The Phoenix. The role may also require occasionally facilitation check-ins, membership purchases, and basic safety tests (belay tests, etc.). The ideal candidate will have significant experience climbing in an indoor or outdoor setting as well as have customer service or retail work history. A strong connection to The Phoenix mission and demonstrated understanding of core values are critical to this position. A personal connection to recovery is preferred, but not required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Facilitate climbing instruction, including introductory climbing and belay lessons, movement clinics, lead climbing and lead belaying lessons, etc.
- Contribute to the safety of the gym by performing safety tests for belayers and monitoring the climbing area to ensure that safety protocols are followed
- Facilitate check-ins for current members as well as enrollments for those purchasing day passes, memberships, or joining The Phoenix as Team Members
- Explain membership options, including promoting membership sales and accurately describing non-profit program requirements
- Greet and welcome all visitors, including members and prospective members, non-profit program participants, vendors, business and community partners, potential donors, etc.
- Assist with facility maintenance and upkeep to ensure the facility and programming space are trauma-informed (accessible, clean, safe, welcoming), reflect The Phoenix Core Values and Community Standards
- Assist with retail and merchandise inventory, restocking, and reordering
- Attend and participate in local and national staff meetings, and programming and partnership team meetings
- Carry out administrative functions, including updating program schedule on our website, updating staff schedules, data entry, etc.
- Review and respond promptly, accurately and cordially to all inquiries
- Be an ambassador for The Phoenix at all times
- Contribute to social media through Facebook, twitter and Instagram
- All other duties as assigned
- Minimum of one year experience rock climbing in an indoor setting
- Familiarity with roped climbing basics (safety checks, belaying, etc.)
- American Mountain Guides Association - Climbing Wall Instructor (AMGA-CWI) or Climbing Wall Association certification preferred
- Excellent customer service skills
- Good organizational and time management skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to relate to people from all walks of life
- Entrepreneurial spirit, humility, and integrity
- Ability to use standard office equipment, computer equipment, and proficient with software including word processing, spreadsheet applications and email
- Minimum High School Education or GED
- Ability to manage and progress on multiple tasks within a given day or week.
- Demonstrate good verbal skills with the ability to communicate effectively with people in a group setting
- Familiarity with other disciplines, including yoga and CrossFit is preferred but not required
- An ability to work in a high-paced, ever-changing environment
- Willingness to be flexible with hours, including working early mornings, late evenings, or weekends as needed
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.