Boston Explorers (BE), an Urban Day Camp for Kids, is seeking a talented and highly responsible individual to work in the role of day camp counselor and co-leader of our Leadersin-Training (LIT) program. Camp counselors implement and lead program activities for campers, ages 7–15. (Please see Day Camp Counselor Job Description on our website) The role of Teen Program Co-Leader is to supervise and mentor six (6) teen Leaders-in-Training, ages 16-18. Our senior staff is a diverse group of counselors who possess a strong work ethic, demonstrate leadership and maturity, and who enjoy the company of children. Experience in education or child/adolescent development is required. For more information about us please check our website at www.bostonexplorers.org
MORE ABOUT THE TEEN PROGRAM CO-LEADER POSITION
Program co-leaders report to the Director. They are responsible for guiding the Teens in their work with campers. Candidates are selected based on experience working with adolescents, positive attitude, interest in the urban outdoors, friendliness and character. Effective communication skills are essential.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
In addition to general counselor responsibilities, Teen Program Co-Leaders are also responsible for the following:
• Building healthy positive relationships with each LIT
• Supporting and guiding the LITs in developing collaborative and respectful relationships with one another (positive group culture)
• Coaching each LIT in their work with campers (i.e., establishing a warm and trusting relationship; engaging in healthy, positive activities; setting limits; communicating expectations effectively; supporting campers through trying times; maintaining good boundaries; collaborating with other staff; etc.)
• Helping each LIT develop strong work habits (showing up on time; dressing properly; staying off their cell phone during the work day; communicating in advance about special needs or sick time; etc.)
• Setting reasonable, yet significant goals with each LIT with regard to camper communication, work responsibilities, personal interest, etc.
• Establishing effective action steps for each LIT to reach their goals
• Observing LIT performance and give warm and cool feedback regarding their performance
• Providing LITs and the Camp Director with a written synopsis of each LIT’s goals, action steps, progress and response to feedback
• Actively participating in planning meetings with the Director and other staff
• Holding morning meetings with the LITs to set activities for the day
• Holding closing meetings with LITs at the end of each day to review highs and lows
• Planning, scheduling and executing explorations of interest to the LITs that further their growth and development as emerging young adult leaders (in areas of business, art, design, government, education, financial literacy, etc.)
ADDITIONAL CONDITIONS FOR EMPLOYMENT
• In order to be considered for this position, you must be able to adhere to the Boston Explorers calendar:
o Staff Orientation: April 18 (public school vacation day) July 2, 5–7, 2018 Camp dates: July 9–Aug 17, 2018
• Boston Explorers conducts Criminal Offenders Record Information (CORI) and Sexual Offenders Record Information (SORI) checks on all employees.
• In addition to regular camp session there may be opportunities to work additional hours during Bike Week (August 20-24) and other special events throughout the year.
• Camp counselors go through a rigorous interview and screening process.
• Boston Explorers maintains a 1:6 senior staff to camper ratio.
• Must be at least 22 years old.
• Must have at least four years of post-high school experience (college, trade school, job, or job training).
• Must be able to provide three written references.
• Must be able to provide immunizations records (MA state regulations).
• Must be first-aid/CPR certified (if hired, BE will provide training)
HOW TO APPLY
Applications are available on the Boston Explorers website (www.bostonexplorers.org/counselors). Applications are accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until all positions are filled. For further information or questions, contact the Camp Director, Alphonse Litz at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Boston Explorers provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, national origin, citizenship or marital status or any other characteristics protected by law. We strive to provide an atmosphere free from discrimination in any form.