ABOUT Parenting Journey
Parenting Journey, a nonprofit agency headquartered in Somerville, MA, fosters healthier, more resilient families and improves parenting practices by providing therapeutic, group-based, social-emotional programming for families. Parenting Journey’s acclaimed program provides solutions to the everyday stressors of parenting, as well as strategies and resources for coping with systemic barriers including substance use, trauma, domestic violence, immigration, and poverty. A dynamic and systemic approach supports parents through high-impact programming and promotes pro-family environments for all through strategic partnerships with human service agencies and issue advocacy.
This is an exciting time to join the team at Parenting Journey as the organization is building on 35 years of an incredible program and reputation. Reporting to the Managing Director of Institutional Advancement, the Development Manager plays a critical role in achieving Parenting Journey’s advancement efforts. He/she is a key contributor in the planning and execution of a comprehensive development plan based on long and short-term goals. Responsibilities will include events and engagement management; prospect management; donor cultivation, solicitation and stewardship; and strategic and operational planning within the Advancement Team.
- As part of the Advancement Team, achieve the fiscal year revenue goal of $2.9M.
- Be a part of a team that is executing an annual development plan, including goals and strategies for foundations, major donors, individuals, and corporations; articulate clear benchmarks for progress; and identify and develop the partnerships, strategies and tools to implement these priorities.
- Create, plan and execute strategic engagement opportunities in order to grow the network of volunteers, individual donors and corporate donors.
- Manage and support the execution of a calendar of development activities.
- Coordinate the inaugural major fundraising event.
- Develop an in-depth knowledge of Parenting Journey programs along with emerging initiatives, to ensure full understanding and accurate representation when communicating to external audiences.
- Maintain accurate prospect and donor records, create timelines and reports, and collaborate with the data management team on system improvements, reports, and other infrastructure needs.
- Attend meetings, capture major take-a ways, and work with team to ensure follow-up.
- Support the direct marketing and annual fund program.
- Support grant seeking initiatives.
- Develop/draft occasional communications on behalf of the MDIA and/or research in support of this collateral.
- Represent the organization at external events and opportunities as requested, including some evenings.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The Development Manager must be committed to partner with families, and have a deep appreciation and enthusiasm for the role of family in a healthy and thriving society. The DM must be a relationship-builder who is able to adapt his or her communication style to work effectively with a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders. The successful candidate will have a proven ability to:
- Define, size, and prioritize opportunities
- Develop and execute against a development pipeline with appropriate oversight
- Work on short-term wins and longer term opportunities in parallel and prioritize accordingly
- Handle multiple tasks and priorities simultaneously and to consistently meet all deadlines
- Communicate effectively (written/verbal)
- Uphold unquestionable personal code of ethics, integrity, diversity and trust
Excellent writing, analytical, and research skills are essential. Candidates must be self-motivated, detail oriented, and highly-organized, and have experience using databases. A high level of computer literacy required. Candidates must possess an ability to work well under pressure and the ability to seek and synthesize information and communicate in a compelling and succinct form.
This position is ideal for someone who is ready to expand and deepen their fundraising skills, and provides a great opportunity to learn and grow with a dynamic organization. We are a small team, and collaboration and continuous learning are encouraged. The person is this position will gain exposure to many different facets of the organization and ongoing professional development.
- 3+ years of relevant experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- Proven track record of achieving revenue targets and securing new funding opportunities
- 1+ year of event coordination
- 1+ year of work with CRM
JOB TYPE: Full-time
SALARY: 40-50K, commensurate with Experience
Parenting Journey is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply. Please email a cover letter and resume to JoinOurTeam@parentingjourney.org by January 2, 2018. For more information about Parenting Journey, please visit our website at www.parentingjourney.org.