Title: Development and Communications Manager
Reports To: Executive Director
Boston-based Hospitality Homes, Inc. (HH) seeks a mission-driven Development and Communications Manager (DCM) for a fast-paced, highly regarded, small and innovative nonprofit that provides free medical housing through a network of community volunteers who host families and patients in their own home during the patient’s medical treatment in the Boston area. The DCM will join a small collaborative team of professionals who encourage new, creative ideas in a purposeful environment. This full-time salaried position reports to the Executive Director and serving as an integral member of the executive leadership team, the ideal candidate will be responsible for helping take the organization to the next level of success in fundraising. www.hosp.org
About Hospitality Homes
Founded in 1983, HH provides free housing in volunteer host homes, donated apartments and other accommodations such as free Airbnb stays and discounted hotels, to patients and families of all ages, with any diagnosis, who are receiving medical care in the Greater Boston area. By providing these medical stays, HH enables access to the life-saving care patients need, allowing families to stay close during a critical time in their lives. This unique home-away-from-home experience has brought a compassionate response as well as emotional and financial relief to thousands of guests while creating a volunteer experience that is deep and meaningful. Since 1983, HH has provided over 200,000 nights of housing to more than 18,000 families. The first program of its kind in the nation, HH began as a grassroots effort for medical stays for families travelling great distances to access the world-renown Boston area hospitals for treatment. As a result of the success of this medical housing model, HH now has a training program that has helped start programs in five other medical hubs in the U.S.
HH has seen tremendous growth in both demand and with community volunteers over the past five years. This pushed HH to strengthen its programs and infrastructure. While operations have been optimized and finances are stable, a major branding and communications effort is in the process of strategic positioning. HH has strong relationships with hospitals and local corporations; focus is on increasing this engagement. HH has received recognition from the Daily Points of Light Foundation and the NE Patriots Foundation. HH has appeared in major local and national media including The Boston Globe, WBUR, NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt, and Dr. Oz Magazine.
Vision and Values: HH’s vision is to ensure that families traveling to Boston for medical treatment have the housing and local support they need. The values of HH can be characterized as: compassion and trust; dignity and respect; collaboration and teamwork; high level of professionalism, integrity and commitment to excellence in program delivery.
Joining a deeply committed and talented team, the DCM can expect the following opportunities and challenges:
Drive the expansion of Hospitality Homes donor base, building a solid network of engaged donors committed to Hospitality Homes success. The DCM will partner with Hospitality Homes Executive Director and Board of Directors to raise $500,000 thousand annually in 2019 as first priority, with additional goals for subsequent years. The right candidate will play a key role in developing and implementing annual development plans, ensuring alignment with and support of HH’s overall goals. They will employ a broad spectrum of tools and resources to identify and report on high potential investors, including donors’ biographical and financial capacity and inclination, and any linkages to HH’s mission or organization. In addition, the DCM will cultivate relationships with prospective donors and collaborate with HH’s leadership to devise and implement strategies for engagement.
Build standards and oversight to ensure high quality, best practices in resource development and fundraising operations across the organization. The DCM will support the development of systems that ensure quality across the resource development function, including prospect research, cultivation and stewardship, database management, communications and reporting to enhance the capacity of HH to ensure positive donor experiences.
Working closely with HH staff the right candidate will manage the planning and implementation of all fund development initiatives such as direct mail, planned giving, bequests, corporate requests, major gift and donor recognition. They will collaborate with the Executive Director to design effective direct mail and online giving campaigns and play a lead role in planning and executing special events and community fundraising initiatives. This candidate will provide active management support and leadership for the signature Golf Tournament.
Effectively leverage communication and fundraising products and tools to support HH’s development goals. The DCM will manage the production of high-quality content that engages guests, volunteer hosts, the medical community and donors while building brand recognition. With the support of the Family Services Team, the DCM will lead the creation of informative content, press releases, articles, and media opportunities. The candidate will be responsible for strengthening the organizations web presence while maintaining and updating the website. The Development and Communications Manager will also work with the Executive Director to prepare persuasive grant applications and timely, accurate reports, as well as source new prospects and grant opportunities.
QUALIFICATIONS OF THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE
While no one candidate will possess all the qualifications listed below, the successful candidate will embody many of the following professional and personal abilities, attributes, and experiences:
- The ideal candidate will be an excellent communicator, with brilliant presentation and organizational skills;
- Demonstrated passion for and experience working in a hospital fundraising setting;
- 3 to 5 years of experience in development and prospect research; consideration will be given to candidates with less experience who bring a demonstrated ability to be relentlessly curious and highly relational;
- Demonstrated success supporting major gifts and successful proposals; experience with prospect identification and research required;
- Strong project management and problem-solving experience;
- Demonstrated knowledge of major foundations in the areas of medical housing preferred, but will consider candidates with strong transferable skills and a lot of initiative;
- Great communication skills—persuasive and accurate writing and editing skills;
- Knowledge of best practices for development infrastructure, including development information systems, planning, and management;
- Demonstrated capacity to investigate, analyze, and synthesize large quantities of data into a user-friendly and concise format;
- Proficiency in Customer Relationship Management (CRM) or donor relations software,
- Excellence in building internal and external relationships across a diverse set of stakeholders;
- Command of Google Apps in a collaborative environment (G-Suite: Gmail, Drive, Docs, Sheets, Hangouts,etc.); Microsoft Office Suite (Word,Excel,PowerPoint); Wordpress; Donor Perfect; and high aptitude for learning new technologies and technology troubleshooting;
- Experience with processes and tools to manage multiple projects, schedules, and calendars;
- Experience in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Medical and Dental Insurance
- Generous paid vacation
- Significant growth opportunities and professional development
Compensation: Competitive, commensurate with skills and experience
If interested, please email a cover letter (required) and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates who choose not to enclose a cover letter will not be considered. Please write DCM Search in the subject line of the email. Position is open until filled.
Our commuter friendly office is located on the C line in Brookline’s St. Mary’s Neighborhood.