Gloucester Marine Genomics Institute (GMGI) is Gloucester’s exciting non-profit science and educational organization, founded in 2013. Our mission is to conduct world-class marine biotechnology research which expands the regional economy. Our strategy includes establishing a marine biotechnology research institute, creating a vibrant science learning environment and training local high school graduates for careers as professional lab technicians, and helping develop a science community in and around Gloucester.
GMGI is currently seeking a Development Director to oversee our donor relations program and manage our fundraising initiatives. Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the successful candidate will be responsible for developing our fundraising campaigns, communicating with current and prospective donors, and building a sustainable professional development function assuring annual fundraising goals are met. Embracing our mission, the Development Director will work closely with the COO and the Board of Directors in all development and fundraising endeavors.
- Develop and execute GMGI’s annual fundraising plan, including annual giving, growth, and capital campaigns.
- Grow and develop our major gifts program, including identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of major donors.
- Create and execute a strategy for a large sustained base of annual individual donors.
- Manage all aspects relating to corporate, foundation and business philanthropy, including strategically applying for appropriate philanthropic grant opportunities. Supervise grant writing consultants as needed.
- Manage the Salesforce development data base.
- Supervise the half-time Development Assistant.
- Contribute to communications strategy and materials, ensuring external communications are up to standards for a world-class research institute and training academy.
- Oversee organization of special events, engaging staff, participants, and partners as needed.
- BA (required)
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in development, including successful track record with major gifts fundraising
- Be a “self-starter” and goal driven to initiate donor visits and fundraising calls
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational, managerial, communication skills, and social media
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, familiar with presentation media
- Experience tracking donors and gifts with a database; knowledge of development software
- Possess skills to work with and motivate staff, board members and other volunteers
- Be organized and exhibit “follow through” on tasks and goals
- Represent the organization with impeccable social judgement
- Knowledge of biotechnology a plus
- Ability to work flexible hours including occasional evenings and weekends, as needed
- Pass CORI check
How to Apply:
Submit resume and cover letter to Chris Munkholm, COO: firstname.lastname@example.org
Only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.