At Youth Guidance, we believe that no matter what challenges a young person faces, they are more likely to succeed when they have caring adults in their lives. Our highly-trained staff guides kids to overcome the life and academic challenges facing Chicago's youth. We meet kids where they are — physically and emotionally — to help them focus on their education, make positive choices, and remain on the right path toward life success.
Founded in 1924 today Youth Guidance is a leading provider of outcomes-driven programs serving more than 11,000 youth while touching the lives of more than 14,000 youth, parents, teachers, and community members.
The Development Director- BAM Boston achieves annual fundraising goals for the Becoming a Man (BAM) program in Boston. Manages the identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of individual, corporate and foundation donors. Engages with the BAM Boston Advisory Council, in partnership with the ED, to follow up on introductions to prospective donors. Plans and executes small donor cultivation events and site visits to cultivate potential major donors. Responsible for the timely submission of grant proposals and reports, working in collaboration with program, evaluation & quality improvement and finance departments.
- Completes all stages of funding proposal development including outreach to grant-makers, and development of compelling, timely and error-free letters of inquiry, online applications, formal proposals and grant reports
- Proactive relationship-builder, working collaboratively with the BAM Boston Advisory Council and Executive Director to cultivate additional relationships in Boston. Pursues and secures donor cultivation opportunities such as site visits and meetings with potential funders
- Highly responsive & proactive in engagement of key public & private sector stakeholders
- Serves as key point of contact with current & prospective donors through letters, personal visits, phone calls, and personalized acknowledgements to achieve continued donor engagement
- Develops and implements plans aimed at establishing an individual donor base in Boston for BAM, with a focus on individual major gifts
- Forecasts annual, quarterly and monthly revenue, as well as donor renewal and acquisition. Utilizing Raisers’ Edge for constituent relationship management
- Completes ongoing prospect research (online, databases, clearinghouses, professional literature, and donor prospecting directories) of current and prospective corporate, foundation and individual donors to identify viable local funding opportunities
- Works collaboratively with agency program, evaluation and finance staff in the development of proposals, reports and grant budgets
- Ensures BAM Boston has high-quality, brand consistent digital and print collateral materials and positive public relations, with support from the Director of Marketing & Communications
- Ensures the fulfillment of funding partner recognition and benefits (e.g. article in newsletter, acknowledgement in annual report)
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum three (3) years of experience and demonstrated track record in development, with experience in the human services or K-12 education sectors preferred
- Strong computer skills (Microsoft Office), Raisers’ Edge experience preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to present a positive image and communicate effectively via telephone and in person
- Highly organized, strategic thinker, with proven ability to handle multiple tasks, handle pressure and meet deadlines
- The ability to work well both independently, and within a team
- Commitment to cultural sensitivity and respect for differences
- Commitment to the continuous improvement of service quality and the organization’s mission
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to frequently talk and hear.
- The employee frequently is required to sit and stand for sustained periods of time; walk; use hands and fingers to handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. Occasional local travel.
Youth Guidance is an equal opportunity employer and proudly values diversity. Youth Guidance does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law and is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity along all of these lines. People of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.