Director of Communications and Marketing
About Every Mother Counts
Every Mother Counts’ mission is to make pregnancy and childbirth safe for every mother, everywhere. We educate the public about maternal health and invest in community-led programs to improve access to essential maternity care. We engage communities, thought leaders, and partners in efforts to achieve quality, respectful, and equitable maternity care for all.
Director of Communications and Marketing
Every Mother Counts is seeking a highly-skilled, mission-driven communications and marketing professional to spearhead the planning, development and implementation of the organization’s communications, marketing and public relations strategies. S/he understands that communications and marketing go hand in hand, and that together they have the potential to create meaningful connections that drive action to bring about positive change at scale. As Director of Communications and Marketing, s/he will be charged with ensuring EMC’s story is told in the most effective manner across all relevant channels and to all relevant audiences, both online and offline.
Who You Are
You are someone who cares deeply about all aspects of maternal health, domestically and globally. You bring world-class talent as a communications professional, a storyteller, a marketer and a thinker. You understand that communications and marketing is about trust and transparency, and about how an organization can represent and transmit a set of values in everything it does. You are energized by the idea of digging in deep to understand the issues facing mothers around the world, and you have the skills and relationships to bring the latest thinking, tools, ideas and action to sharing our work with the world.
Increase visibility of EMC’s mission and impact, create stronger connections to the brand and the values it represents.
Distill and communicate the issues surrounding maternal health and EMC’s perspective on them to strengthen our reputation as a go-to source for advocacy and thought leadership. Help our key stakeholders understand what we do, why we do it, and how they can be involved.
Oversee all external and internal communications, including the development of messaging and content for a variety of channels and a diversity of audiences—including our website, blogs, email marketing, newsletters, fundraising appeals, social media and major campaigns.
Drive EMC’s digital communications strategy while continuously maintaining and improving the quality and diversity of content, monitoring engagement and performance using various analytic tools and constantly iterating to drive success as measured by growth and actions.
Field, manage and pitch media and speaking requests, ensuring high-visibility opportunities and PR plans are in alignment with our organization’s and founder’s objectives, positioning and are consistent with organizational goals.
Serve as the strategic lead, in collaboration with our other functions on the planning and execution of a variety of communications materials, campaigns and events that engage and reaffirm our community of donors and partners.
Create a system to surface, develop and publish compelling content based on our work. Drive discovery of the best thinking at EMC and quickly transform these insights into stories that can be used to accelerate the work of our fundraising, grant-making, advocacy and programming.
Leverage EMC’s body of films and video content to accelerate our ability to raise funds, to share what we are learning, and to influence a broader conversation about the challenges and solutions facing maternal health.
Provide direct support to EMC’s Founder and President, Christy Turlington Burns, to ensure maximum impact of her communications—whether written, in the press, or in public speaking opportunities. Continue to position EMC’s Founder and President as a key thought leader in global maternal health issues, philanthropy and advocacy.
Manage relationships with a variety of agencies and/or consultants to drive EMC’s media, digital, social and search strategies.
Lead a team of two, including a digital marketing FTE and junior writer.
Qualifications and Characteristics
Passion, entrepreneurial spirit, and empathy are just a few of the things that EMC team members have in common. They also share a commitment to, and enthusiasm for, EMC’s mission and advocacy model, coupled with respect for our core values: equity, respect, community, compassion and good humor.
Ideal candidates for this role also have:
- 10+ years of work experience, ideally a blend of private sector, social impact or non-profit.
- Big-picture, growth-minded, strategic thinker with exceptional analytical, written and verbal communication and presentation skills; high attention to detail.
- Significant experience in communications, external affairs, and/or marketing with progressive leadership responsibility and a track record of creating, delivering and measuring innovative communications strategies.
- Proven success tailoring messages to a variety of audiences, particularly in translating complex subjects to a diverse range of stakeholders.
- Extensive understanding of communications trends, best practices, digital platforms (including CMS and email marketing) and analytics tools and how they can be utilized to enhance organizational goals.
- Able to thrive in an ambiguous environment, provide leadership and direction to the team when there are curve balls, and to lead with resilience, poise, professionalism and resolve.
- Ability to collaborate effectively with different colleagues and personalities, at all levels both externally and internally.
- Experience working directly with senior leadership, ideally a founder or CEO.
- Strong network of relationships with leaders in your space, and the capacity to effectively enlist and engage leading thinkers and doers to support our work
Permanent authorization to work in the United States required.
Please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.