Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Development provides hands-on leadership, strategic direction, coordination, and execution of all Dance Complex development and fundraising efforts. Expand upon current development activity, crafting a full-scale plan, operation, and the necessary systems to support its success.
Roles and Responsibilities
· Create and execute an annual Development Plan in conjunction with the Executive Director and Board Development Committee that encompasses foundation, corporate, government, and individual giving strategies, goals, and tactical plans.
· Liaise with the Board, providing clear direction to more deeply engage Board members as organization ambassadors and fundraisers. Formalize and lead a Development Committee comprised of several board members.
· Build and cultivate relationships and partnerships with external stakeholders including individual donors, foundation funders and prospects, civic partners, program participants, and faculty.
· Help develop compelling funding proposals and reports to foundations and corporations. Work closely with finance and program staff to ensure appropriate data and demographic information is collected and to develop accurate budgets and reports.
· Develop a comprehensive donor communications, cultivation, and stewardship plan to maximize continued support and engagement of both prospective and current donors.
· Foster strong working relationships with staff. Collaborate with the communications team to create compelling donor messaging, work with program staff on development opportunities around a wide variety of programming initiatives, and guide the Executive Director in key development opportunities.
· Oversee collection and documentation of development data, managing the fundraising database (Donor Perfect) and supervising data entry and reporting. Assist organization in strategizing and managing general demographic data collection.
· Develop new tools and strategies for generating resources (e.g. new approaches to cultivating parents of participants, prospecting for additional foundation funders, establishing a corporate sponsorship, planned giving, and/or membership program).
· Monitor and evaluate all fundraising activities to ensure that fundraising goals are being achieved.
· Foster a culture of giving internally with board members and externally with program participants and the general community.
· Develop and maintain an understanding of Dance Complex programs and activities so as to maximize donor participation in and support of the organization.
· 5+ years experience in fundraising with demonstrated knowledge of crafting overall development strategy as well as implementing systems.
· Bachelor’s Degree required.
· Exemplary goal-setting, planning and prioritization skills. Highly organized, thoughtful, and strategic. S/he must be able to lead senior management and board members with clear goals, timelines and responsibilities.
· Authentic and open in gaining respect and support of a broad range of constituencies and stakeholders. Skilled at cultivating relationships and guiding staff and board members in doing the same.
· A track record as an effective communicator, highly skilled in writing, adept at crafting donor correspondence, proposals and other materials.
· Knowledge of local and national fundraising trends, best practices, and ethics.
· Experience with donor databases.
· Confidence in advocating for the importance of development both internally and externally.
· Ability to thrive in a frenetic, busy office environment.
· Flexibility to work during non-business hours (e.g. weekend or evening) for select, key events and opportunities.
Job Structure, Benefits and Salary
Depending on candidate experience, position can be structured at ¾ time at 30 hours/week or full-time at 40 hours/week. Salary will range accordingly (from $45K to $65K) and is also commensurate with experience. Benefits for either structure include health insurance, retirement plan, and paid leave.
Please submit a resume and letter of interest in PDF format to:
Finance & Operations Director
No telephone inquiries.
November 21, 2018
depending on experience see notes in qualifications
Artist-founded and run center for movement and dance arts, including seven studios and intimate theatre. Instruction in a diverse array of dance styles and genres for professionals and recreational dancers of all ages, beginning thru advanced. The theatre space holds our own and others' productions year round.