The Nature Connection: Director of Development
Start Date: June 10, 2019
Application Deadline: May 31, 2019
Job Type: Part-time (24-30 hours)
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Join a fast-paced, fun, mission-driven organization where you'll help grow program capacity to bring nature’s healing touch to at-risk youth, elders, and people with disabilities. The Nature Connection (NC) is looking for an individual who is a results-oriented professional fundraiser and a team player!
About this Organization
The Nature Connection brings educational and therapeutic nature programs to people with limited access to the natural world. Founded in Concord, Massachusetts, in 1983, NC brings nature’s capacity to teach and heal to vulnerable individuals. We deliver customized traveling programs—with live animals and natural materials—to special needs schools, psychiatric treatment centers, elder and Alzheimer’s facilities, foster care centers, and urban after-school programs.
Position Description: Director of Development
The Director of Development is a critical role on a small leadership team that is dedicated to scaling-up a non-profit on a mission to bring nature's healing power to those who need it most. This individual will lead all development efforts: donor cultivation and stewardship, appeals, fundraising events, corporate sponsorships, and foundation support.
NC seeks an experienced development professional, with a successful track record, able to lead a full fundraising program. The selected candidate will be a relationship-builder who is ready to jump in to improve and implement strategic fundraising activities including timely and innovative stewardship. The Director of Development will foster strong personal relationships with the staff, Board of Directors, and other development and event committee members and collaborate effectively to plan and successfully execute a wide array of initiatives.
In addition to nurturing and growing contributions from major gifts, annual giving, corporate and foundation grants, and events, the Director of Development will lead grant proposal writing, reporting, and research with an aim to expand foundation support to fund programmatic growth.
This part-time position reports to and works closely with the Executive Director. The Nature Connection offers an option for health benefits and flexible scheduling for the right candidate.
- Plan NC’s comprehensive annual fundraising goals and tactics, aligned with strategic plan
- Increase annual giving, major gifts, corporate, and foundation support
- Design and implement new strategies to raise funds via donor communications, annual appeals, and events
- Lead and work collaboratively with Executive Director and Marketing/Communications Manager
- Write grant proposals, reports, and presentations for corporate, foundation, and major gift funders
- Recruit and manage volunteers to help with development projects; steward and convert them into ambassadors and donors, as appropriate
- Assist with special projects as needed
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- 3-5 years development experience with an established track record or other related development experience required
- Solid volunteer management experience required
- Strong verbal and written communication; must be able to read, write, and communicate fluently in English
- Ability to prioritize and coordinate multiple projects
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Computer skills: MS Word, Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint, fundraising software experience
- Personal Qualities
- Exceptional integrity, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Sense of humor!
Education Requirements: Bachelor’s degree required. Post-graduate education preferred.
Level of Language Proficiency: English
Part-time 24-30 hours per week (depending on expertise). Will entertain flexible scheduling for the right candidate. Health benefits eligible, generous vacation policy. We offer a chance to join a fun, driven, passionate team with a one-of-a-kind mission.
How to Apply
If interested in the position of Director of Development at The Nature Connection, please email your:
- Cover letter that details why your skills and experience make you the right fit for this development position; and, why you seek to further this organization's mission
Send to: Sophie Wadsworth, Executive Director, firstname.lastname@example.org
Interested candidates are strongly encouraged to apply early: applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Physical Location: 40 Stow Street, Concord, MA 01742