School the World is an international nonprofit committed to solving extreme poverty through education. We work at a deeply local level, partnering with local governments and communities to create a culture centered around education.
Over the last decade, School the World has focused on primary school education in the poorest areas of Guatemala and Honduras. We have built 82 schools and 48 playgrounds, extensively trained 350+ teachers, empowered nearly 6000 parents to become the “first educators” of their children, and created 350+ classroom libraries. More than 30 of these schools and playgrounds were funded and built by 800+ U.S. high school students working alongside parents and community leaders. Our revenue has grown an average of 20% year over year and is on track for 30%-40% in 2019.
In the decade ahead, we will begin with early childhood, making sure children are ready to learn when they arrive in school, and we will continue past primary school to give every child the opportunity to continue their education through “Basico”, 7th-9th grade and achieve reading, writing, math and digital competencies. Our goal is to expand to other developing countries and replicate the success we have witnessed in Central America, transforming entire communities through education.
Reporting to the C.E.O., this new position is an exciting opportunity to create a marketing and development department in an entrepreneurial organization preparing for high growth.
- Develop and execute School the World annual fundraising and marketing/communications plans;
- Develop personal relationships with major donors, Board of Directors and other key stakeholders;
- Secure substantial new financial support from individuals, foundations, and corporations
- Personally market our service learning opportunities to students, school administrators, parents, and corporations;
- Oversee Communications Manager developing dynamic and cohesive messaging to present School the World as a high impact leader in the fields of global education and service learning via public relations, social media, our website, blog and annual report, advertising, and other promotions;
- Create and execute a strategy to grow and retain a large base of annual midlevel donors;
- Lead major donor site visits and student, family or corporate groups abroad;
- Participate actively as a collaborative member of the senior leadership team and support a wide variety of initiatives and requests to ensure the success of our mission.
- Passion for and commitment to the mission, philosophy, values and education strategy of School the World;
- Highly collaborative style with sincere commitment to build relationships with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, volunteers, donors, beneficiaries and all supporters;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Entrepreneurial self-starter with results orientation; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives; ability to work independently;
- Real team player and team builder with positive attitude and willingness to roll up his/her sleeves to do what is most needed at any given time or moment to realize the mission and help the organization succeed.
- Bachelor’s Degree;
- Ability to work in the United States without sponsorship;
- Minimum five years experience in development or sales & marketing with a track record of measurable results;
- Outgoing personality and demonstrated excellence written and oral communications and relationship-building;
- Experience in planning, leading, and managing development projects;
- Ability to travel internationally and domestically 20 – 30%;
- International experience a plus.
Salary and benefits will be competitive with market and commensurate with experience. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Marketing & Development Director” in the subject line.