The Fish Family Foundation (the “Foundation”) is a private family foundation in Boston established in 1999. The Foundation’s funding priorities include immigration, high-risk youth, and mental health services for underserved populations. In addition to its annual grant making, the Foundation supports its own key strategic initiatives in global youth development, women’s leadership in Japan, and immigrant inclusion.
The Foundation seeks an experienced, senior level philanthropic professional to expand its Immigrant Inclusion Initiative in addition to developing new strategic initiatives. The Director of Strategic Initiatives will work collaboratively with the Executive Director and other program staff, reporting directly to and working in close partnership with the Foundation’s Board Chair.
Duties and Responsibilities
Specific duties include:
- Create conceptual frameworks for grantmaking initiatives
- Research, investigate, identify and assess existing and new strategic grant opportunities
- Address program sustainability and viability of scaling for greater reach and impact
- Identify, build and sustain collaborative relationships and external partnerships
- Develop guidelines for allocation of annual budget
- Facilitate and monitor grants, including reviewing, analyzing and summarizing initiatives’ impact, as well as fiscal review and budget oversight
- Establish streamlined systems and protocols for grant tracking, payments, communications and reporting across all initiatives
- Develop and maintain an assessment process to measure and communicate the impact of programs and initiatives
- Create and maintain all pertinent documentation including letters of agreements and memorandums of understanding; and general correspondence including letters of acknowledgment, appreciation, and grant awards
- Provide an active presence at community events, grantee events, and other gatherings relevant to the Foundation’s work, at all times representing the family and the Foundation in a professional and respectable manner
- Prepare Board presentations and requirements for approval of existing and future grantees
Qualifications and Capabilities:
The Director of Strategic Initiatives must have sufficient knowledge of and experience in the field of philanthropy to identify unique grantmaking opportunities aimed at demonstrable impact in our given focus areas. Candidates must demonstrate the ability to think strategically and analytically, serving as a thought-partner for the Board Chair and the Foundation’s trustees. We seek an individual with prior experience in creating and implementing large-scale grant programs.
Other qualifications include:
- Strong interpersonal, communication, organizational and administrative skills
- Ability to work both independently and cooperatively with the Foundation’s staff and board, foster team spirit and maintain a sense of humor
- Ability to manage multiple long and short-term projects/programs
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of all work products and discussions related to the Foundation
- Experience in a Microsoft Office environment strongly preferred
The Director of Strategic Initiatives is a full-time position. Compensation includes a competitive salary and negotiable benefits package. The Foundation is located in Downtown Boston with access to multiple options for public transportation, dining, shopping and cultural attractions.
Email a resume and cover letter to Tref Borden, Executive Director, email@example.com