JLC New England (JLC NE) is the Boston-based regional arm of the Jewish Labor Committee, a social justice organization devoted to engaging the Jewish community in issues that affect working people e- including fair pay, a safe working environment, and basic job security -- and to engage the labor movement in issues that affect the Jewish community.
We are seeking an Executive Director (ED) to lead us toward fully meeting our mission in building coalitions within the labor movement and the Jewish community, and in playing a leadership role in advocacy with state and local officials. The ED will maximize the organization's impact, increase our financial base, expand our membership, and build on our history of engagement with a wide range of groups. The ED reports to the JLC NE Board and maintains a collegial relationship with national JLC leadership.
RESPONSIBILITIES - The ED will:
- Serve as a voice for JLC, articulating a vision for the organization's work.
- Develop and foster strong relationships within the Greater Boston area labor and organized Jewish communities, and work collaboratively with advocacy coalitions with a diverse array of partners (including faith-based, grass-roots worker rights, racial justice, and other social justice organizations).
- Recruit, develop and maintain a strong volunteer leadership and base; build strong working relationship between staff and Board.
- Work in coalitions to develop legislative and policy priorities; develop and maintain good relations with legislators and other public officials.
- Provide leadership in JLC NE fundraising, including developing and maintaining strong connections with donors and broadening JLC NE's fundraising base through the identification and development of new donors.
- Manage all aspects of the JLC NE Labor Seder, the organization's signature event, a key element in its community outreach and fundraising efforts.
- Manage, improve and assure the long-term sustainability of all JLC NE finances and fundraising efforts; develop JLC NE annual budget in coordination with the JLC NE Board and national JLC leadership; and manage and provide oversight for all aspects of day-to-day JLC NE financial operations, including monitoring and tracking of expenditures.
- Oversee all JLC administrative functions, including hiring and supervision of staff, correspondence, and database management.
- Manage JLC New England messaging, including JLC NE listserv, social media, press, and other media venues, regarding social justice issues and JLC NE's advocacy efforts.
- Consistently present a strong, positive public image of JLC New England.
The ED should have:
- Experience in working for progressive values and social justice and a demonstrated ability to excite people about social change, and in creating and leading diverse coalitions.
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to the Jewish values underpinning JLC New England's work on labor issues, and the ability to articulate the link between the two.
- Professional or volunteer experience within a Jewish organizational setting; experience with the Boston Jewish community highly desirable.
- Ability to balance needs and interests of diverse stakeholders, including but not limited to working people, Jewish professionals, and people of color.
- Demonstrated ability to lead program and organizational development.
- Demonstrated capability to manage a volunteer organization, maximize volunteer contributions, and build volunteer leadership; significant community organizing experience; experience with Board relations.
- Demonstrated experience in fundraising and building relationships with donors.
- Demonstrated understanding of how to run a financially sound non-profit organization; ability to manage all aspects of organizational fiscal operations including preparation of budgets and oversight of accounting and bookkeeping operations.
- Strong ability to develop and promote ongoing communications based on strong oral and written skills.
- Excellent organizational skills including the ability to balance conflicting demands.
- Comfort with database and spreadsheet software.
HOURS, COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
- Full-time position, $60,000 a year. Benefits include paid vacation, earned sick time, holidays, and a contribution to health insurance.
Send resume and cover letter as attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Executive Director" in the subject line.