POSITION OVERVIEW: EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR HOSPITALITY HOMES, INC. BOSTON, MA
Boston-based Hospitality Homes, Inc. (HH) seeks a mission-driven Executive Director (ED) for a fast-paced, highly regarded, small and innovative nonprofit that provides free medical housing through a network of community volunteers who host families and patients in their own home during the patient’s medical treatment in the Boston area. The ED will lead a collaborative team of 4 professionals who encourage new, creative ideas in a purposeful environment. Reporting to the Board of Directors and serving as an integral member of the executive leadership team, the ED will be responsible for taking the organization to the next level of success. www.hosp.org
THE ORGANIZATION MISSION: Founded in 1983, HH provides free housing in volunteer host homes, donated apartments and other accommodations such as free Airbnb stays and discounted hotels, to patients and families of all ages, with any diagnosis, who are receiving medical care in the Greater Boston area. By providing these medical stays, HH enables access to the life-saving care patients need, allowing families to stay close during a critical time in their lives. This unique home-away-from-home experience has brought a compassionate response as well as emotional and financial relief to thousands of guests while creating a volunteer experience that is deep and meaningful. Since 1983, HH has provided over 200,000 nights of housing to more than 18,000 families. The first program of its kind in the nation, HH began as a grassroots effort for medical stays for families travelling great distances to access the world-renown Boston area hospitals for treatment. As a result of the success of this medical housing model, HH now has a training program that has helped start programs in 5 other medical hubs in the US. HH has seen tremendous growth in both demand and with community volunteers over the past 5 years. This pushed HH to strengthen its programs and infrastructure. While operations have been optimized and finances are stable, a major branding and communications effort is in the process of strategic positioning. HH has strong relationships with hospitals and local corporations; focus is on increasing this engagement. HH has received recognition from the Daily Points of Light Foundation and the NE Patriots Foundation. HH has appeared in major local and national media including The Boston Globe, WBUR, NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt, and Dr. Oz Magazine.
Vision and Values: HH’s vision is to ensure that families traveling to Boston for medical treatment have the housing and local support they need. The values of HH can be characterized as: compassion and trust; dignity and respect; collaboration and teamwork; high level of professionalism, integrity and commitment to excellence in program delivery.
Hospitality Homes Executive Director Position Overview
As the need for our important service continues to grow in the greater Boston area, HH strives to address the changing landscape. In 2017, HH adopted Five Strategies as part of its long-range plan:
· Strategy #1: Advance Board development that supports both sustainability and future HH capacity.
· Strategy #2: Raise brand profile through an aligned marketing and public relations campaign.
· Strategy #3: Create fundraising culture that engages new and existing donors to amplify the financial resources necessary to sustain and grow.
· Strategy #4: Integrate technology solutions to optimize operations and communications
· Strategy #5: Establish an affiliated network of host housing programs along with a training program.
THE POSITION: The Executive Director (ED) of HH functions as the nonprofit entity’s Chief Executive Officer. In this capacity, the ED provides vision and leadership to the strategic and day-today operations of the organization as well as the primary fundraiser and implementation of policies established by the Board to fully ensure the execution of the organization mission. The ED will have or is expected to develop a deep knowledge of the field, core programs, operations, resource development and the successful creation and implementation of strategic initiatives.
Expectations for the Executive Director:
Key areas of expertise in the ideal candidate:
- Inspirational leader with a demonstrated passion for the mission of HH and the deep impact it has in the greater community
- Ability to build strong supportive relationships among diverse and wide-ranging stakeholders; knowledge of the greater Boston healthcare community
- Personal experience in advancing individual leadership giving for social impact and demonstrated fundraising success across several areas of engagement.
Leadership and Management:
· Administer overall operations of HH and serve as the public face of Hospitality Homes in representing the organization to the general community and supervising Hospitality Homes’ media strategy.
· Responsible for all staffing policies and procedures, analyzing program utilization and to regularly assess and address organizational needs and staff abilities.
Development and Fundraising Efforts:
· Responsible for establishing, nurturing and expanding relationships with individual donors, major medical centers, foundations, individual and corporate donors. Lead community outreach and engagement with volunteers, other professionals, community organizations and the Board of Directors to manage senior-level involvement in the organization’s fundraising efforts and increase resources annually.
· Annually assess and maintain sound financial practices, compliance with State and Federal filing and regulations and ensure adequate funds are available to cover operations and meet strategic goals. Manage the annual budgeting process with key members of the Board, as well as ensure compliance with all procedures and policies as part of the annual audit conducted by an outside firm.
· Responsible for supporting Board activity as well as providing information, advice, and counsel to the Board to further the mission of Hospitality Homes.
Ideal Qualities and Abilities: To be successful, the ideal candidate must:
· Be a highly motivated self-starter with exceptional energy and enthusiasm for the mission, and the ability to represent the organization in a highly professional manner to a variety of constituencies, including hospital administrators and clinicians, community leaders, volunteers, hosts, patients and families, and the public.
· Have excellent collaborative leadership and management skills with demonstrated ability to establish and focus on priorities and challenges, quickly sense what will help or impede progress, move effectively toward identifying solutions to problems, keep projects and tasks on track, and motivate staff and volunteers.
· Foster a culture where effective teamwork, collaboration, and innovation are expected, recognized and rewarded.
· Be a superb communicator with excellent interpersonal and listening skills. S/he should be an independent thinker who can present balanced analyses, have solid influencing skills, and capable of building consensus while engendering trust, confidence and credibility.
· Be a critical thinker with excellent reasoning ability. The ED must be able to define problems, collect and analyze data, be action oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable and innovative.
· Have the ability to plan, direct and inspire. Coordinate activities; negotiate and administer contracts; and work with health care providers, funders, commercial vendors, government agencies, corporations, community groups and other organizations as necessary.
Technical Requirements: Experience and knowledge includes:
· MA or advanced degree in a related field (preferred) and 7-1O years’ increasingly responsible leadership experience, at least 5 years in a supervisory capacity managing, mentoring, and empowering a team.
· Knowledge of the principles and techniques of successful nonprofit leadership. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret financial, legal, and regulatory information; write reports, business correspondence, experience with fiscal and organizational management.
· Accomplished relationship fundraiser with a proven track record cultivating donors and foundations, experience in annual fund and major gifts, having solicited and closed significant leadership gifts.
· Experience with community organizations, community engagement, marketing and strategic communications and be a persuasive and passionate communicator.
· Work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups and people, with integrity and positive focus.
If interested, please email a cover letter (required) and resume to: exec.searchHHBoston@gmail.com
Please write HH Executive Search in the subject line of the email. Position is open until filled.