This position is an assistant to the Director of Finance and Administration. This department is responsible for: office management, HR, payroll, accounting, IT and general administrative tasks.
- HR support - Manages biweekly payroll and staff benefits. Also handles on-boarding of new employees and off-boarding departing ones.
- Accounting clerical support (we will train you!) - Handling accounts payable and some invoicing.
- IT support - Administers office Google Suite. Works with our off-site IT consultant as on-site support.
- Office Manager - In charge of office supplies & office services. Manages office vendor relations.
- Receptionist - In charge of answering general public phone, email inquiries and distributing mail.
- Special projects - Helps research, implement, and document new initiatives in the department of Finance & Administration, including ongoing computerization of office procedures, and new HR and employee safety processes.
- Executive support - Assists the executive director and senior leadership with complex scheduling needs and occasional event planning. Handles all paperwork and meeting arrangements for quarterly board meetings; takes minutes at board and committee meetings.
- “Other duties as needed” tend to be special event support and assistance for Executive Director.
· Ability to prioritize and juggle many simultaneous tasks with different deadlines.
· A self-starter who will create own projects when workload is light.
· Good people skills, including discretion and tact. Ability to work across all departments, and interact with all levels of the organization. Polite phone manner.
· Extreme attention to detail. Willing and able to track down that six dollars!
· Comfort with technology and numbers. Ability to learn new software.
· Clear communications in person and in writing. Experience with editing is a plus.
· Excellent problem-solving skills.
We will consider career switchers and those with unusual career paths. Minimum two years’ work experience.
Full time salaried, Non-Exempt position. Benefits eligible, generous time off package. General office hours are 9 – 5, Monday through Friday.
The work of this position takes place both in a normal office environment and at a historic site. Some staff offices are located on the third floor of a historic building that is not handicap accessible. Incumbent should be able to carry equipment and supplies up and down stairs, lift 40 pounds, and change a water cooler.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and a brief writing sample to email@example.com.
For more information about the Bostonian Society and the Old State House, visitwww.bostonhistory.org.
June 03, 2019
The Bostonian Society brings people together to explore the vital debates about self-government that were sparked at the Old State House during Boston’s Revolutionary Era and that still animate our civic life today. We sustain and share the Old State House and our collections to inspire generations to come.
The Bostonian Society is committed to:
- Inspiring everyone to wrestle with the question of how to draw the circle of “We” in “We the People”.
- Exciting imagination by sharing the diverse voices and conversations of Boston’s Revolutionary Era in fresh and honest ways.
- Motivating people to directly participate in today’s debates about self-government that are rooted in discussions begun 250 years ago in the Old State House.
- Unlocking the power of place by creating a transporting experience at the Old State House that is accessible and lively.
- Cultivating new strengths to grow as an adaptive organization that builds collaborative and enduring relationships as we preserve the Old State House and refine our collections.