Project Bread – The Walk for Hunger is a leading statewide organization committed to ending hunger for Massachusetts residents of all ages. In collaboration with key partners, we deploy a two-pronged approach to achieve this goal:
- Provide immediate relief to those who are hungry today
- Eradicate the systemic causes of hunger
Project Bread is a vibrant organization with a deep commitment to creating positive social change. We work in a fast-paced environment that values learning and an entrepreneurial approach. Knowing its importance to the success of our work, Project Bread is committed to diversity and inclusion, and we aspire to build a diverse staff team and community, including groups that are traditionally underrepresented among our sector leadership. We strongly encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. Please be sure to submit your resume and a thoughtful cover letter that explains your interest in the role and our organization. We appreciate your time and will review and respond to all applications received.
Supervisor: Director of the FoodSource Hotline
The Role: Project Bread’s FoodSource Hotline is an information and referral service designed to connect Massachusetts residents in need with a variety of food resources in their local community. FoodSource Hotline counselors provide direct assistance to 30,000 callers per year who are struggling with food insecurity. Working as part of a team, counselors listen to the individual stories of each caller; refer them to community food programs and other helpful resources, as well as provide over-the-phone SNAP (formerly food stamps) application assistance and follow-up with applicants throughout the process.
1) FoodSource Hotline
- Screen callers to determine their eligibility for the SNAP/Food Stamp program and assist callers over the phone to complete a SNAP application.
- Provide information to current recipients, applicants, and social service agencies, regarding SNAP procedures, regulations, and rights.
- Refer those in need to food resources such as food pantries, WIC, home delivered meals, school and summer meals, as well as other agencies that can assist with food and non-food related needs
- Input all relevant call data accurately into the FoodSource Hotline database.
- Provide secondary supervision to evening college interns and assist with semester evaluations.
- Answer LiveChat Instant messages, attend Hunger Network Meetings, update local food resources information in the database, and assist with reports and research.
- Shifts are 8am-4pm and 11am-7pm, Monday-Friday. Counselors may be asked to work on Saturdays as needed.
This FoodSource Hotline Counselor will also focus on expanding our outreach efforts to connect more Massachusetts residents in need with the FoodSource Hotline. The Counselor will work with the Director of the FoodSource Hotline throughout the year to revise and execute the outreach plan.
- Participate in the annual Walk for Hunger, including working as event staff the weekend of the Walk, attending pre-Walk events as assigned, and supporting Walk for Hunger fundraising efforts.
- Participate in organization-wide events and meetings and perform other program duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred or a high school diploma with 3+ years of experience
- Thrives in a team environment
- Bilingual English/Spanish or Portuguese a plus
- Customer service, public service preferred
- Basic computer skills required
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment
- Sense of humor
Project Bread is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, height, weight, or marital status in employment or the provision of services. Knowing its importance to the success of our work, Project Bread is committed to diversity and inclusion, and we aspire to build a diverse staff team and community, including groups that are traditionally underrepresented among our sector leadership. Please contact Paul Higgins email@example.com if you would like to request special accommodations during the interview process.