Jumpstart is a national early education organization working toward the day every child in America enters kindergarten prepared to succeed. By participating in Jumpstart’s yearlong program, children develop the language, literacy, and social and emotional skills they need to be ready for school, setting them on a path for lifelong success. Since 1993, Jumpstart has trained 50,000 college students and community volunteers to transform the lives of over 123,000 preschool children nationwide. Jumpstart is also a proud member of the AmeriCorps service network. Join us to work toward the day every child in America enters kindergarten prepared to succeed!
The Grants Accountant is responsible for overseeing all financial aspects of the execution of Jumpstart’s private and public funding sources, including all local and federal AmeriCorps awards. This position addresses tight deadlines and multiple activities related to data entry and processing of a large volume of transactions each week, internal review to verify strict adherence to policies and procedures, general ledger updates, year-end audit schedule preparation and support, and serves as a customer service presence to both external and internal partners. This is a highly collaborative role that requires strong relationship building, systems building, and project management skills. The Grants Accountant reports directly to the Controller.
- Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure
- Prepare journal entries to the general ledger to include, correct, or update data as appropriate
- Manage multiple regular deadlines and tight turnarounds to support the organization’s needs
- Assist in the development and implementation of new procedures and features to enhance the workflow of the department and to ensure GAAP and OMB compliance at all times
- Manage all aspects of allocating resources and reporting actuals for AmeriCorps grants; work collaboratively with Finance, Development, and the field to ensure both private and public funding fulfill donor expectations
- Monitor grants spending throughout the year and make journal entry adjustments to ensure full spend down of the award
- Prepare audit materials for public grants
Field Fiscal Support:
- Provide a support role in site fiscal support in areas such as the Site Application Process, Mid-Year Spending Check Ins, Budget Modifications, year-end closeout, and training documents
- Support implementation of Jumpstart’s PER system; providing training and ongoing support when necessary
- Additional responsibilities and projects, as needed
- Associate’s degree or equivalent relevant professional experience
- 3 to 5 years of relevant experience
- Commitment to Jumpstart’s core values: learning, connection, determination, joy and kindness
- Proficient in all Microsoft Office applications, especially Excel
- Working knowledge of a financial accounting software package
- Basic understanding of financial statements and accounting; expert quantitative skills
- Excellent attention to detail along with strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to plan, implement, and balance multiple responsibilities and projects while performing at a high level in a dynamic and fast-paced environment
- Desire to engage in extensive relationship building and collaboration
- Commitment to participation as a critical member of the finance team and a part of the larger organization
- Experience and comfort working with individuals from diverse backgrounds and communities
Preferred or Ideal
- Bachelor’s degree
- Exposure to government funding, specifically AmeriCorps
- Prior experience/interest in social justice or diversity, equity, and inclusion work
- Specific knowledge of Blackbaud’s Financial Edge or Sage Intacct
SALARY & BENEFITS
Salary – $55,000; along with a competitive benefits package and a great work environment
HOW TO APPLY
Please complete an online application.* Both a cover letter and resume are required to complete your application. Applications without a cover letter may not be considered. Candidates will be reviewed on an on-going basis. Please upload/attach your resume to your applicant profile as well as your cover letter.
*Jumpstart’s online application process is supported by ADP. To ensure that the online application works properly, please make sure cookies and pop-ups are enabled on your browser, and that firewall software (if used) is set to permit inbound and outbound traffic on port 443. Unfortunately, touch screens are not supported or certified by ADP. For the best possible user experience, ADP recommends a minimum screen resolution of 1280 x 800.
Jumpstart is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion or creed, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, age, pregnancy, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status recognized by federal, state or local law with respect to employment opportunities.
Consistent with the Americans with Disabilities Act, applicants may request accommodations needed to participate in the application process.