The Major Gifts Officer will serve as a front-line fundraiser, advancing relationships with individuals and organizations with the capacity to make a significant philanthropic investment in Make-A-Wish Massachusetts and Rhode Island. As a member of the Development team and reporting to the Chief Development Officer, this individual will be responsible for managing a portfolio of approximately 150 major and leadership gift prospects; moving these prospective donors through the qualification and cultivation processes to successful solicitation; ensuring donors in the portfolio receive appropriate mission-guided stewardship; and collaborating with development colleagues and organization leadership. This position is based out of our Boston office.
- Manage a portfolio of approximately 150 major and leadership gift prospects at various stages of their relationship with the organization.
- Devise and execute individual strategies for the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of assigned portfolio with a heavy focus on face-to-face meetings.
- Secure annual fund level gifts from prospects not yet ready for major gift solicitation.
- Identify and develop a pipeline of prospects that have the capacity and the inclination to make major gifts. Help create strategies to enhance their relationship with our organization and continue along the moves management cycle.
- Work with CDO, CEO, and key volunteers to develop relationships in support of the Make-A-Wish mission.
- Summarize face-to-face visits, outreach and communication, and proposal details via contact reports in donor record utilizing Raiser’s Edge.
- Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree required.
- A minimum of five years in fundraising or related field, with no less than an additional three to five years of leadership giving or major gifts fundraising experience.
- Proven success in cultivation and solicitation of gifts at or above the $10,000 level.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, etc.); Raiser’s Edge experience preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to form and leverage relationships with prospects and donors.
- Highly motivated, goal oriented self-starter with the ability to prioritize and manage multiple responsibilities; a team player who can work independently and as part of a team.
- Must possess an outgoing and positive personality, collaborative working style, and an enthusiasm for building bridges between and among key stakeholders.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent working knowledge of personal solicitation, fundraising strategies, and cultivation and stewardship for high-end donors.
- Ability to handle highly confidential prospect information.
- Ability and willingness to travel throughout our two-state territory of Massachusetts and Rhode Island.
- Some night and weekend work required.
Interested candidates should forward a cover letter and resume to:
Major Gifts Officer Search Committee
Make-A-Wish Massachusetts and Rhode Island
133 Federal Street, 2nd Floor
Boston, MA 02110
617.367.1059 fax | firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone calls, please.