Boston Youth Symphony Orchestras believes that an exceptional classical music experience can be life changing. At BYSO, students experience a transformative music education through participation in our nationally-renowned orchestras and outreach programs. To support these efforts, BYSO is seeking a full-time Community Programs Manager to manage and implement effective program services for the Intensive Community Program (ICP) and Bridge to Equity and Achievement in Music (BEAM) initiatives. The Community Programs Manager will work with students, families and cross-departmentally to ensure smooth operations for all rehearsals, concerts, and events.
- Manage operations for ICP and BEAM including, but not limited to, weekly lessons and classes, evaluations, rehearsals, concerts, events, special projects, annual recruitment, and ICP summer camps, including the coordination of external relationships
- Prepare and disseminate logistical information to students, families, staff, and teaching faculty
- Serve as primary point of contact for ICP students, families, and teaching faculty; answer questions and solve problems as necessary
- Manage attendance plan and record keeping for ICP lessons, rehearsals, and performances
- Manage ICP instrument inventory, repairs, and assignments
- Research, propose, and execute ideas that advance organization-wide diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) strategy; assist in building relationships and partnerships with key stakeholders
- Work with BYSO staff to advance organizational goals as related to ICP and BEAM
- Supervise and train a minimum of four (4) Boston University work-study students and eight (8) MLK Summer Scholars
- Other related duties as assigned
Additional Qualities and Traits:
- The ideal candidate will have a commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion as business and workplace values
- Successful experience working with people from diverse cultural, racial, and ethnic backgrounds is desirable
- Bilingual (English/Creole or English/Spanish) is desirable but not require
- A familiarity with the diverse neighborhoods and communities that make up inner city Boston and the immediate metropolitan area is preferred
Additional Requirements: Regular evenings and weekends required. BYSO’s weekly rehearsals occur each Sunday between September and June. Candidates must be able to lift a minimum of 50 pounds.
Boston Youth Symphony Orchestras is a registered 501 (c) 3 organization. BYSO does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and encourages diversity and inclusion in our workplace.
Please send cover letter, resume, and references (PDF documents only) to Kathryn Rudolph at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
May 24, 2019
Commensurate with experience
The mission of BYSO is to encourage musical excellence in a professional and supportive environment by providing the highest quality orchestra training and performance opportunities to qualified musicians, grades K-12, and to make its programs accessible to underserved communities through financial assistance and outreach. Since its inception in 1958, the Boston Youth Symphony Orchestras (BYSO) continues to achieve the highest artistic standards, and remains committed to musical excellence. Today the BYSO is widely regarded as one of the country's finest youth orchestras and is recognized nationally as a model music and arts education organization.