About AmeriCorps and the United Way North Shore AmeriCorps Program:
AmeriCorps is a national community service program that gives people an opportunity to apply their skills and ideals towards helping others and meeting critical needs in the community. The United Way North Shore AmeriCorps Program is an innovative young program that places 30 AmeriCorps Members in schools and nonprofit organizations throughout Lynn, Salem, and Gloucester, MA, to help implement programs designed to reduce the school dropout rate among English Learners in grades K-12 by supporting social-emotional and academic needs. AmeriCorps Members serve with their host sites, either in a school or a community based nonprofit that provides services to young people. Members provide structured tutoring and mentoring support to English Learners, helping them succeed academically and develop their social-emotional skills. Youth typically range in age from 8-17, depending on the site. AmeriCorps Members complete 1200 hours of service from their start date to July 2020. Collectively, the service of the AmeriCorps Members ensures a holistic approach throughout the community to reduce the barriers to academic success for English Learners and their families.
About United Way of Massachusetts Bay & Merrimack Valley:
We unite to create positive, lasting change for people in need. We call it harnessing the power of people working together. And that means everyone — individuals, nonprofits, companies, and government agencies. We work every day to achieve our vision and mission by focusing on two foundations of better lives: Financial Opportunity and Educational Success.
Apply to Serve at One of Our Remaining Service Sites:
- Girls Inc. of Lynn
- LEAP for Education, Salem, MA
- O’Maley Innovation Middle School, Gloucester MA
- Lynn Classical High School, Lynn MA
- Witchcraft Heights Elementary School, Salem MA
AmeriCorps Service Requirements:
- Complete a minimum of 1200 hours of documented service over the course of one year, as well as the full-term of service (Start Date – July 2020)
- Attend all Corps wide training and learning sessions
- Complete all required AmeriCorps documentation and reporting
- Must be a US Citizen or Permanent US Resident
- High School Diploma or GED
- Between the ages of 17 and 29 as of August 1st, 2019
Preferred Member Qualifications:
- Experience with and/or commitment to youth development
- Interest in nonprofit organizations and/or public schools, and their development
- Organization and communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Passion for national and community service
- Desire to work with diverse people, organizations, and communities
- Positive attitude, flexibility, and adaptability
- $12,750 taxable living allowance paid in bi-weekly installments
- $4,266.50 Segal Education Award upon completion of service
- Paid health and dental insurance
- Loan Forbearance
- Uniform parts
- Free YMCA Membership for the year (Access to Lynn, Salem, and Gloucester YMCAs)
- Training and networking opportunities among a core group of Corps Members and other nonprofit professionals.
- Access to the United Way network for resources during and after service
AmeriCorps Member Selection Timeline:
The application deadline for the 2019-2020 year is December 13th, 2019. Applicants will be notified on a rolling basis as applications are reviewed.
Once selected, the Member will receive a two-day orientation with program staff focused on understanding AmeriCorps, United Way, professional development and team building.
Join Our 2019-2020 Team Today!
Interested Candidates, Please Send Your Resume Directly to:
Zach Brown, Program Coordinator