December 13, 2018 - Meet-the-Donors: Community Development
From bikes to housing, food security to urban tree planting, the 75 attendees of the latest Meet-the-Donors program represented the diversity of Massachsuetts nonprofits working on community development. Gathered at the Benjamin Franklin Institute of Technology, our panelist of foundation and state representatives shared the work they're doing, as well as suggestions of how they might work with the attendees in the room. A lasting impression from the day: When it comes to community development, collaboration amongst and between funders and nonprofits is key.
Jeff Bellows, Vice President, Corporate Citizenship + Public Affairs, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts
Kurt Gaertner, Land Policy and Planning Director, MA Executive Office of Energy & Environmental Affairs
Ruth Goldman, Consulting Program Officer, Merck Family Fund
October 30, 2018 - Meet-the-Donors: Central MA
Over 90 attendees gathered at the College of the Holy Cross in Worcester to glean wisdom and best practices from funders in Central MA. Our diverse panelists represented foundations that only fund capital campaigns all the way to newer foundations still establishing their grantmaking practices. One big takeaway from the day: Worcester grantmakers are very connected and communicate with each other, so give attention to fostering your relationships.
- Chris O'Keeffe, Vice President of Program, Greater Worcester Community Foundation
- Allen Fletcher, Chairman, Fletcher Foundation and, Trustee, Stoddard Charitable Trust
- Michealle Larkins, Vice President, Philanthropic Administrator, U.S. Trust, Bank of America Private Wealth Management
- Bethany Kendall, Executive Director, Amelia Peabody Charitable Fund
- David Nicholson, Trustee, Fred Harris Daniels Foundation
- Carolyn Rau, Foundation Assistant, GMA Foundations
July 11, 2018 - Meet-the-Donors: Donor Advised Funds
Over 140 attendees learned about Donor Advised Funds and their intricacies from our expert team of panelists at the Mosesian Center for the Arts in Watertown. The session was highly spirited and attendees got the inside scoop about who might use a Donor Advised Fund, how popular this giving vehicle is becoming, how to get themselves on the radar of these funds and more. A tip from the day: Make sure your online presence is up to date so potential funders can see what you're up to!
- Gioia C. Perugini, Associate Director, Family Office and Philanthropy Services, Hemenway & Barnes
- Charlie Glassenberg, Vice President, Gift Planning & Investment Partnerships, Combined Jewish Philanthropies
- Karen Heald, Director, Relationship Management, Private Donor Group, Fidelity Charitable
- Jodi Rosen, Senior Philanthropic Services Manager, Vanguard Charitable
- Julie Smith-Bartoloni, Senior Director of Donor Relations, The Boston Foundation
- Jean Whitney, Philanthropic Consultant, Ropes & Gray
May 16, 2018 - Meet-the-Donors:Youth
Our seasoned team of panelists joined over 100 attendees at Benjamin Franklin Institute of Technology in Boston where they helped to demystify the topic of funding for youth programming and organization. The session was information packed and offered many helpful tips and reminders about best practices in grantseeking and attracting donors. A tip from the day: Measure your outcomes quantitatively and know how to also communicate about it qualitatively.
- Alex McCray, Sr. Director, Programs, Philanthropy Massachusetts
- Katie Everett, Executive Director, The Lynch Foundation
- Amanda Northrop, Vice President, State Street Foundation
- Elizabeth Pauley, Senior Program Officer, Education, The Boston Foundation
- Joel B. Swets, Executive Director, Cummings Foundation