Support for Pet Sheltering and Adoption Services
The Petco Foundation provides grants to animal welfare organizations performing sheltering and adoptions nationwide. The Foundation seeks to support organizations that continually endeavor to achieve a high standard of doing more and are determined to save as many lives as possible. U.S.-based nonprofit animal shelters and foster-based rescue organizations, as well as municipal animal shelters, are eligible to apply. For the 2019 funding cycle, applications will be accepted through September 26. Visit the Petco Foundation’s website for additional information and to download the Animal Welfare Organizations Performing Sheltering and Adoptions grant application instructions.
Organization Type: All applicants are evaluated based on organization type instead of by type of project or program. It is important that you read the organization type definitions carefully prior to filling out an application and that you select the correct category for your organization.
The three organization types below are eligible to apply during the Animal Welfare Organizations grant cycle:
- Non-profit organizations that are primarily foster-based rescues.
- o 501c3 nonprofit organizations performing adoptions of companion animals; and
- o A primary service of your organization is temporarily caring for animals in need for the purpose of finding them new homes.
- Animal Control agencies & non-profit organizations responsible for animal control sheltering.
- o Municipal or other governmental agency, department or division providing animal control sheltering per local ordinance as well as other services, including adoptions; OR
- o 501c3 nonprofit organizations legally or contractually obligated to accept stray dogs or cats from 1 or more municipalities in addition performing adoptions and other services.
- SPCA/humane societies and other non-profits that operate primarily out of an animal sheltering facility.
- o 501c3 nonprofit organizations performing sheltering and adoptions of companion animals
- o A primary service of your organization is temporarily caring for animals in need for the purpose of finding them new homes
- o You operate out of a sheltering facility.
- o Organizations applying under this application may also perform significant other functions like spay/neuter surgeries and veterinary clinic services in addition to the primary service of placing animals up for adoption.
IMPORTANT: If your organization is legally or contractually obligated to accept stray dogs or cats from 1 or more municipalities in addition performing adoptions and other services
Please select the organization type: Animal Control agencies & non-profit organizations responsible for animal control sheltering 2 For the organization types listed above:
- There is one grant cycle available during each year
- . Applicants may submit one proposal per grant cycle.
- For organizations receiving multi-year funding, all installment payments must have been completed before submitting a new application.
- For organizations that have received funding in the past, all outstanding follow-up reports (including all annual reports for multi-year grants) for previous awards must be completed before submitting a new application.
- ALL organizations must also submit their Annual Partnership Report* with their animal data for the previous year along with their most recent financial information. *Grant applications received from organizations who have not also submitted their Annual Partnership Report will be automatically declined.
- The person submitting the application must be an authorized representative of such organization. If you are a “Friends of” organization, we recommend you work with the primary animal intake organization and assist them in completing the application.
If your organization is primarily one of the types listed below, please do not fill out an application at this time.
- Spay/neuter clinics
- Community cat support and TNR organizations
- Service and therapy animal organizations
- Pet food bank
- Sanctuaries (no application is currently available)
- Community pet support organizations (no application is currently available)
- “Friends of” organizations (no application is currently available)
- Organizations unrelated to the animal welfare field (no application is currently available)